Happy New YOU!
On New Years Eve, many people reflect back on their year and what they have accomplished. At first glance, you may think that because you are out of work or because you are not in the same place financially that you were in last year, that you haven't accomplished as much as you wanted to. You may even be feeling somewhat down and out, especially during the holidays.
I invite you to take a closer look.
I'll bet that if you spent a few minutes thinking about it, you'll find many things that actually went well for you this year, either personally or professionally… things that you can be proud of.
- Did you help a friend in need?
- Did you take care of a relative who was sick?
- Did you bake a cake with your kids?
- Did you give blood?
- Did your son or daughter accomplish something because of your guidance?
- Did you take up a new hobby?
- Did you excel at something new?
- Did you lose weight, change your eating habits, or start exercising?
- Did you find new ways to save money?
- Did you overcome things this year that you never thought you could?
Here are some job search related things that you might be proud of…
- Did you pay it forward by sending out job leads to your network?
- Did you fax, FedEx or mail your resume instead of just applying on line?
- Did you ask for and forward requests for introductions and write recommendations for your peers on LinkedIn?
- Did you learn to use Facebook and Twitter since everyone else is just using Monster?
- Did you coach, mentor, or buddy up with other people in in-transition groups?
- Did you make introductory calls to potential companies and hiring managers and ask for informational interviews?
- Did you experience the joys of volunteering?
- Did you benefit from spending more time with the most supportive people among your friends and family?
- Did you learn new ways to de-stress and improve your emotional and physical health and energy levels?
- Did you spend the time determining what your career dream is and then making every effort to find it rather than just looking for a "job"?
Did you realize that these questions can now be turned into your New Year's Resolutions? Sneaky… aren't I?
My favorite one is Resolution Number 20. If you haven't started down this road yet, you really don't know what you're missing. Loving your job changes everything… for the better. Even if you can't get there this year, make an attempt to get part of the way. Take steps towards the job you love, or volunteer for an organization that you love. Make this resolution your top priority and work towards celebrating the Happy New You.
Sincerely yours, I remain –